Stretch your mind and your ability to organize your space, your belongings, your time, and your thoughts. Allison Carter, The Professional Organizer, posts her thoughts, breakthroughs, frustrations, and memorable moments as an organizer. Allison also shares tricks that have worked for even some of the most disorganized people to conquer their clutter. Other features: Tips, mind stretches, favorite products, favorite books, and other tools to help people get organized.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Cords On the Road




Blogging from Jacksonville, Fla, childhood home of DH Jimmy (yes Jimmy Carter).
I love traveling.
I hate packing. I get a bit neurotic about not packing things.
I refuse to make a checklist and use it like an organizer because it seems like after 41 years I would know what to pack, right?
Well my last trip I forgot to pack underwear (which led to a rather fun trip to the Reno Walmart and the gift shop at the Nugget).

This time I made sure to pack some panties and a few xtras.
But traveling with my stuff and all the kids' stuff I wanted to find a better way to deal with all the cords and chargers.
We have:
2 laptops, palm, 2 phones, Nintendo ds, portable dvd, gps, 2 ipods and there may be more I'm forgetting.
So I asked my fellow organizers... and they came up with.... just a few little things, none perfect but all quite usable.
Cord organizing for travel:
1. Kangarooms travel case for chargers and cords











2. Built's 6-pack for chargers
I love this fun stripey one!









Got more than 6 cords like me? Try this double decker doozy from Kangraooms

I chose to do it on the cheap with a box of zip lock bags.
  • Label each cord with a labelmaker or masking tape
  • Put each in a ziplock bag (if desired to keep from tangling)
  • Put all the little bags into a small clear shoebox bin or a larger ziplock bag.



If you have other ideas for packing chargers to go, comment here with your suggestions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I am loving you big right now! A few summers ago (shows you how much I travel) we took a road trip and I was so frustrated with all the cord crap. This is great info...

Did you notice that I skipped right over the "underwear" escapade..?

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! That trip to Walmart WAS fun!
When I pack I lay everything out on my bed so I can see it all (a little insight into my personality *wink*). I also have my toiletries in a travel bag, which I only use for travelling. I just grab it and go! :)
Thanks for the products, very cool!